An old black-and-white photograph of the façade of the Pau Casals Museum, right by the beach

Museum

About the museum

Vil·la Casals

Vil·la Casals, the house which Pau Casals built in the seaside quarter of Sant Salvador, three kilometres from the urban core of the town of El Vendrell, is today the site of the Pau Casals Museum. Originally conceived as a little summer house at the southern end of the beach, the villa underwent diverse interventions in the course of the years, becoming a notable edifice with a harmonious garden bounded by a concert hall and diverse rooms for the display of Casals' art collection.

Chronology

1908
The architect Francisco Solà i Gené prepares the first urban development plan of the seaside quarter of Sant Salvador. Pau Casals purchases some plots on which to build a house.
1909
In November Pau Casals signs the contract for the construction of the house with the builder Josep Carreras and the architect Francisco Solà.
1910
The house begins to be built in January and it is completed at the end of the year. It is formed by a two-story central body with a porch overlooking the Mediterranean sea.
1911
Pau Casals spends his first summer at the house, with his mother and brothers.
1912
Casals spends the summer at Sant Salvador with Guilhermina Suggia and his friends the pianists Donald F. Tovey, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, and Enric Granados and his wife.
1915
A tennis court is built in the eastern part of the property in September.
1916
Pau Casals buys the adjoining plot to the west and has a vegetable garden and a flower garden planted there.
1924
Permits are requested for the building of the guest houses on the other side of the garden. They are not completed until 1929.
1928
Reform of the house's façade. The railings of the terrace and the porch are replaced by a balustrade of green glazed ceramic.
1931
At the end of the year Casals commissions the enlargement and reform of the house to the architect Antoni Puig Gairalt. The reform is set clearly within the "Noucentista" ("1900s Style") aesthetic.
1932
The house's reform begins. The work comprises the new east wing, a garage, the garden, the reform of the stables and the old pantry, the Vinya de Dalt farmhouse, and the watering system.
1935
The Concert Hall and the Vigatà Hall are designed. A splendid set of 18th-century paintings by Francesc Plà "El Vigatà" is installed in the Vigatà Hall. Josep Clarà's "Apollo" takes its place in the central part of the wall of the sculpture gallery.
1939
In the month of January, shortly after the house's completion, Pau Casals goes into exile. Pau's brother Lluís and his family would care for the house until 1976.
1974
After the death of Pau Casals in San Juan, Puerto Rico in 1973, the Vigatà Hall, the Music Room and the Hall of Sentiment (transformed into a picture gallery) are opened to the public.
1976
Inauguration of the house museum, now managed by the Pau Casals Foundation, which was created in 1972.
1996
The house museum is closed to the public in order to carry out a far-reaching rehabilitation.
2001
The new period of the museum, which adopts its final name of Vil·la Casals-Pau Casals Museum, is inaugurated on 2nd June.


Foundation Pau Casals

Avinguda Palfuriana, 67
43880 Sant Salvador, El Vendrell

Museum: +34 977 684 276
Foundation: +34 933 192 021

Fax. +34 977 684 783


 · W3C WAI-AA, WCAG 1.0 · valid XHTML 1.0 · valid CSS · Created by Signia